VAGDrivers.net VAGDrivers.net

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need To Remove Carpet From Passat, Have to remove bottom of the dash board??
skibum
post Feb 18 2009, 02:15 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 39

Help!
Had a funny feeling that there water in the car as windows were always misting up, with a lot of condensation on the inside. Did the usual checks in the plenum chamber (found about 2 inches of water as both drains were blocked) and the seal around the pollen filter housing (original seal had perished). I stuck a de-humidifier in the car for a week, it produced a couple of litres but the windows were still misting up.

So I took the plunge today and removed the seats, door trims, plastics around the gear stick / hand brake and lifted the carpet to find a lot of water in the footwells and the carpet was completely soaked (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Looks like the carpet is one piece and the only way to completely remove it is to cut it behind / under the center of the dash of remove the dash.

how big a job is it to remove the radio and bottom dash of a 03 passat? Any online guides pictures etc??

Need to put the car back to gether as soon as possible.

Luckily enough the CCM module was bone dry, and the wire's look ok.

Thanks
Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
MK1 Golf 1.1 Rust Bucket Gone....
Transporter T4 1.9 D Gone
MK2 1.8 GL Gone
Corrado 1.8 16V Gone
MK2 1.8 GTI 8V Gone
Caddy 1.9 TDI Gone
1990 £50 Nissan Micra !!! Gone :)
MK2 1.6D X 2 Both Gone :(
MK3 1.9TDI, G60 brakes, G60 steelies!! Gone :(

2003 Passat TDI :)

A good friend would drive 30 miles at 2:00 am to bail you out of jail.
A best friend, however, would be sitting in the cell next to you saying "Man, that was F'n Awesome!"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brian.G
post Feb 18 2009, 04:31 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,097

i remember being in your shoes before, i remember looking up under dash and thinking , right theres a lot of things screwed down through the carpet way up under dash, some i couldent even see, i chose not to take out dash as it wasent my car and it wouldent pay, and it would also be criminal to cut the carpet, so i just left a heater in the car after the dehumidifier, it seemed to dry it out ok, i suppose if it was my own car i might have fully removed it..maybe, ide say dry it as best you can and put the heater to the floor the next few weeks maybe with the sil trim off and a thin but of wood under carpet to make an air gap, the floor will look ok and the floor usable, the choice is up to you really, i just hate pulling dashes...

--------------------
''People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are, I don't believe in circumstances, the people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they cant find them, make them''

Destruction, Fire, Danger, Creation.

+Quote Post
Declan
post Feb 18 2009, 05:33 PM
Post #3

www.autostadt.ie

Member No.: 237

Get your CCM module under the passenger footwell lifted and tried out ASAP also

Dec

--------------------

+Quote Post
Geo
post Feb 18 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

I agree with Brian, I'd try to dry the carpet out in situ rather than removing it. I have removed carpets from them before to repair wiring but it's not something you'd be doing for the fun of it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
skibum
post Feb 18 2009, 07:26 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Think I'm going to leave dry out as it is. Seems to be a fair bit in removing the dash. Have the de-humidifier going at the moment, still "sucking" out a lot of water. The padding under the carpet is still very damp so I'm going to do as Brian suggested, stick a bit of wood under the carpet to create a void where the air / moisture can circulate.

Thankfully the ccm was bone dry, it was the first thing I checked when I realised that water had got into the car.

From looking at passat forums this is a very common problem with the B5 & B5.5 passat, serious design flaws, water getting through the pollen filter, bonnet pull gromet and filling up the plenum chamber where the battery sits.

--------------------
MK2 1.8 GL Gone
Corrado 1.8 16V Gone
MK2 1.8 GTI 8V Gone
Caddy 1.9 TDI Gone

A best friend, however, would be sitting in the cell next to you saying "Man, that was F'n Awesome!"

+Quote Post
Brian.G
post Feb 18 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,097

your dead right, life is too short for ''dash out'' jobs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

--------------------
''People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are, I don't believe in circumstances, the people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they cant find them, make them''

Destruction, Fire, Danger, Creation.

+Quote Post
skibum
post Feb 18 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Brian.G @ Feb 18 2009, 07:31 PM) *
your dead right, life is too short for ''dash out'' jobs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Taking it out would be the easy part, putting the fucker back together is another story (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) , I did two heater matrix's on mk2's they were relativly ok, but the passat looks like it's a bugger of a job!!

--------------------
MK2 1.8 GL Gone
Corrado 1.8 16V Gone
MK2 1.8 GTI 8V Gone
Caddy 1.9 TDI Gone

+Quote Post
Declan
post Feb 18 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #8

www.autostadt.ie

Member No.: 237

Your dead right on the common problem part.

I've addressed two in my work place with it. Blocked plenum drains and bad seals. Never happened with mine but I new about it of from early so kept em clear.

At least your CCM is ok. The next level on this problem is a fupped CCM and rotten wiring

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 09:40 AM Privacy Statement

VAGdrivers.net 2005 - 2010  ·